Monday, April 11, 2022

The Kullad Story

 

Probably being born and brought up in the North comes with a unique fondness towards certain things that you miss down south. The list might run to pages but then this one is really special.


I was on my trip to Benaras, few years back in October when winter just struck in. It was supposedly my first trip after a decade and a half to the north. I was excited. I had made the to-do list and my sister's best friend, was extra loving to help me tick most of them.

We toured places, ate the best of Street foods, some mouth watering banarasi sweets and sailing on the Ganges for divine blessings. On the list was the ' kullad chai'. We would see many places that did sell this but then the catch was to spot them in the wee hours than broad daylight.

Didi said that the joy of savoring this was when it was still misty so early morning or late in the evening would be ideal. She had it on her mind when I had somehow given up the wish of having the banarasi kullad chai. I said to myself, it's ok, it will manifest someday!

My return flight was in the morning and we started early so that we reach on time. I somehow have this strange thing of boarding most of the flights at the N th hour, despite planning. That's another interesting one, some other time.

We were at the entrance of the airport and did have sometime to breathe and the driver just went somewhere. I was checking the time and wanted to go and didi was like you have time. Still I was ticking the clock in my mind.

Out from the blue, the driver returned with a kettle and kullads. I was speechless. In his typical Bihari accent, he said - ee liyo tumhaar chaai ( here take your chai). I thanked him for this kind gesture.

I looked at Didi in wonder and she was like, have it fast now. It was a good masala tea with just the right measure of milk and sugar. Since the tea was quite freshly made, I had the privilege of holding two kullads to help bring the tea to normal temperature. Some quick flashlights for a memory, we had the kullad chai. It was so refreshing and I didn't want to part with the kullad. The earthy finish reflected the flawless masterpiece and fine curves by some unsung mud potter. This was definitely made on the traditional wheel unlike the machine made versions available these days.

Didi was happy to see the cherubic shine in my eyes and the smile. She said , Hamesha khush raho ( always be happy).

When you wish for something,ask, believe and be calm. Good things take time
☕ Trust that the people around radiate happiness just as you do.
☕ Always be grateful each day for the wonderful people you meet and greet daily.
☕ Travel is a highly positive as it connects you with little joys of life, quite fulfilling and refreshing.
☕ People are kind irrespective of their caste, creed or profession. What matters is the respect you bestow them with.
☕ Appreciate life as it happens not as you perceive it to happen. Miracles have perfect timings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A day in the life of a tribal warrior princess

  Where technology rules our lives from the moment we rise, till the moment we call it a day, there are some places pure and pristine where ...